2017 Scholarship Information
Targeting Excellence scholarships will be awarded by a scholarship committee comprised of national BOD members and regional leaders involved in food animal production. Scholarships will reflect the interest of annual contributors and the participants of the fund-raising events. Scholarships will be awarded to both undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in an agricultural curriculum at an institution that offers degrees in agriculture. Preference will always be given to applicants with a desire to work in some aspect of food animal production.
A total of $165,000-$175,000 will be awarded in 2017 from the applications that are submitted. Scholarship amounts will be based on the program in which the student is enrolled:
- $1000 for 2 Year Programs
- $2000 for 4 Year Programs
- $3000 for Graduate and Veterinary Programs
- Applicant must be accepted or enrolled in a College of Agriculture which offers courses in food animal production.
- Applicant must be enrolled in classes effective September 1.
- Applicant must have a strong desire to pursue a career, upon graduation, in some aspect of food animal production.
- Preference will be given to students who attend schools in regions where fundraising events were held. The preference regions for 2017 awards are Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- Additional consideration will be given to students who previously attended a Targeting Excellence event.
2017 Scholarship Essays:
Both of the following essays are required in order to submit an application
- How will the VFD as it pertains to the use of antibiotics in food animal production impact producers and the perception of our industry by consumers? (1000 words or less)
- Personal Statement of Career Goals (500 words or less)
2017 Application Timeline:
January 20, 2017
Targeting Excellence will start accepting 2017 scholarship applications on January 20, 2017.
March 31, 2017
All 2017 Targeting Excellence scholarship applications must be submitted by March 31, 2017.
May 2, 2017
Targeting Excellence will announce the scholarships award recipients on May 2, 2017.
Submit Enrollment Verification
August 15, 2017
Targeting Excellence scholarship award winners must submit enrollment verification for the Fall 2017 semester prior to getting award check mailed.
September 1, 2017
Targeting Excellence will mail award checks to scholarship winners on September 1, 2017.
Before You Submit Application You Will Need:
- You will need the first name, last name, email address, and either university or company name for 2 references to include on your application. 1 reference must be one of your food animal agriculture professors and the other reference can either be another professor or an industry professional. You will not be able to submit your application without including this information. You do not need a reference letter prior to submitting your application. References will not be contacted unless there is a question about your qualifications to receive a Targeting Excellence scholarship.
- A digital copy of your official transcripts or unofficial transcripts. If official or unofficial transcripts are not available a screen shot of your student portal showing GPA, Test Scores, and other key enrollment information is allowed. Any documentation you submit should clearly show your name and school. Ideally the documentation should also include a date on it. Only .jpg, .gif, .png, or .pdf file formats will be accepted.
- A digital copy of applicant’s resume if he or she wishes to submit it as part of the application (optional). Only .jpg, .gif, .png, or .pdf file formats will be accepted.
- Applicant may submit 1 additional supporting document/file (optional). Only .jpg, .gif, .png, or .pdf file formats will be accepted. Applicant may not use this option to submit the essays for the application. The only essays considered for the application are the ones included in the essay fields/boxes on the application.
All applications must be submitted online via the link above. If you have any questions or issues with the online application please contact Targeting Excellence. Applicant will receive an email notification of a successful application submission along with a copy of all information submitted to Targeting Excellence. This will be the only notification applicant will receive regarding scholarship application submission. It is the responsibility of the applicant to review the application prior to submission and once the confirmation email is received. If applicant notes any errors in the submission confirmation the applicant should contact Targeting Excellence immediately.